Dear CatholicVote.com member,
The following is a summary of the record and policy statements of Senator Barack Obama on the issues of life and marriage. Because we are sponsored by a 501c3 nonprofit organization, we are not permitted to endorse or advocate for or against a candidate.
We can however provide you with a candidate's record on the issues. Therefore, we present you with the following facts for your use to educate voters on the candidates and the teaching of the Church in these critical days prior to November 4.
The election is likely to be a subject of the homily for your parish priest this weekend. We encourage you to share this information with your priest soon so he can consider mentioning this information from the pulpit.
Make sure to pass along this information to your friends and family, too. Let's have an informed electorate on Tuesday.
We also have this Urgent Memo available online in flyer format for easy download so you can print it out and distribute this weekend. Download the flyer here: http://tinyurl.com/5a7mop
TO: American Catholics
RE: Barack Obama on the Issues of Importance to Catholics
1. Obama is undecided on whether life begins at conception - Saddleback Church Forum Aug 16th, 2008. Obama voted against born alive protections for abortion survivors four times, and voted against a ban on partial-birth abortion in the Illinois state senate
Audacity of Hope written by Barack Obama
2. Obama has pledged to Planned Parenthood to sign The Freedom of Choice Act, a law which would cancel every state, federal, and local regulation of abortion, no matter how modest or reasonable. It would even abolish all state restrictions on government funding for abortions. Catholics that pay income tax will be paying an abortionist to perform an abortion. It would also abolish state laws that protect Catholic doctors and nurses from losing their jobs if they refuse to participate in abortions. It would abolish requirements for parental notification and informed consent for mothers who consider the procedure. – Obama speech to Planned Parenthood, July 17, 2007
He is endorsed by pro-Abortion industry leader Planned Parenthood and has a 100% NARAL voting record. -
3. Obama would repeal the Mexico City policy, which bars federal funding for international nongovernmental organizations involved in abortion-related services and would pit the US against the Vatican on the international fight against abortion.
4. He strongly supports the 1973 Supreme Court decision on abortion rights and says he will oppose any constitutional measure to overturn it. -
5. Obama has pledged to choose Justices with a Pro Abortion agenda and he voted against Roberts and Alito.
6. Obama voted no on notifying parents of minors who get out-of-state abortions and prohibiting minors crossing state lines for abortion.
7. Obama supports the destruction of embryos for experimentation and voted to expand research to more embryonic stem cell lines.
8. He voted yes on $100M to fund contraceptives for teens and sponsored bill providing contraceptives for low-income women.
9. Voted no on defining unborn child as eligible for SCHIP a program that gives funds to states in order to provide health insurance to families with children.
10. He opposed the federal marriage amendment in 2006 and also favors repealing the 1996 Defense of Marriage Act, which gives a state the right not to recognize same-sex marriages performed in another state.
PAID FOR BY CATHOLICVOTE.COM
A PROJECT OF THE FIDELIS CENTER FOR LAW & POLICY
Contact (312) 201-6559 or www.CatholicVote.com
2 years ago