Thursday, December 4, 2008

The Big Divide

I saw the post on the Read My Lipstick Network blog about the liberal on-line pub writing about Steve Maloney, Team Sarah and our Network. I clicked the link and went wandering around the website. (http://www.prospect.org/cs/articles?article=the_fundamentalist_120308)

A few things really jumped out at me as I read some of the headlines and bits of the articles.

There are some mean, mean people in this world.

I just don't find that on the "right". Maybe it's there on the extreme fringes with some of the more radical groups. I haven't found any of those sites and haven't gone looking for them so may never come across them! On occasion I'll find a comment from someone on "our" side of the divide that I think crosses the line, but they are so obviously kooks that it's hard to take them seriously.

However, when I hit the Daily Koz, this new one that I've never heard of that RMLN was mentioned in, the Huffington Post and similar they seethe with hatred, snobbery, irritation and nastiness.

It's my way or the rocky highway with a boot to your butt to make you go faster.

The other thing that struck me is just how divided our country has become. There is no middle ground.

I'm not giving up my religion and I'm not going to deny it just to make happy with the libs.

I'm not going to say it's OK to kill babies just to make happy with the lib left.

They're not going to give in when it comes to trying to shut me up about God and my beliefs.

They're not going to be happy until everyone believes that it's OK to kill babies in the womb to make life easier for some women.

Most of us believe like Reagan that it's best to come from a position of strength not weakness.

Most of us know it's impossible to negotiate with terrorists and extremists.

We also know that spewing hatred at those who disagree with us isn't going to build any bridges. So why don't they understand that?

I don't know how to fix this one. I have many friends who are libs and we get along just fine. We agree to disagree. However, they don't have a problem with my belief system and they don't feel the need to make me deny God. They wouldn't dream of putting up a sign denying God next to a Nativity scene (like they're doing in the state of Washington). We don't talk about abortion as we know neither of us is going to convince the other to change their mind. No vitriol, no hatred. We've found a middle ground and I think of them as "true" liberals, not the hate mongers that wear that label as a badge of dishonor.

However, we're in a small town and the vast majority, including the libs, still cling to their guns and religion. Most have a respect for other points of view and don't see the need to slash and burn.

We're an aberration I think, based on what I see in the media, what I read on the self-designated liberal blogs and websites and what I see on television.

The divide is reaching into middle America, too, I think. It's probably just a matter of time before my liberal and conservative friends and I are sitting in rocking chairs on the front porch commiserating about the good old days when people could disagree with honesty and respect.

No comments: